REI Coop Outfitters - Need your bike fixed fast? Stop in to our repair shop! Click for more info.

Shellfishing in Fairfield Connecticut is a fun activity for all ages.

Shellfishing in Connecticut is limited to "approved" and "conditionally approved -- open" areas. People shellfishing for recreation should contact the town health department where they wish to fish to find out where shellfishing is allowed, whether a local license is required, and other local shellfishing laws.

Recreational shellfishing in Connecticut is limited to one-half bushel of shellfish per day taken during only daylight hours. Implements to take shellfish must have a one-inch or greater spacing between the teeth. Recreational shellfish are intended to be consumed by the harvester and family members. Recreational harvesters cannot offer their shellfish for sale or barter.

Recreational scalloping is limited to people who have lived in Connecticut at least one year. Scalloping is restricted by local laws, ordinances or regulations which may require a town scallop license.

Note: There are no approved or conditionally approved areas in Bridgeport, Clinton, East Haven, Ledyard, Montville, New Haven, New London, Old Lyme, Stratford, Westbrook or West Haven, There is one conditionally approved area in Old Saybrook. Call Larry Bonin at 860-395-3125 for information. Shellfishing is not allowed in any fresh water areas.

For more information, see the 2008 Guide to Shellfishing Along the Coast of Connecticut or call the Connecticut Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Aquaculture at 203-874-0696.

Shellfish that may be harvested in Connecticut waters include the Eastern or Atlantic oyster, hard, round, or quahog clam, long, soft-shelled, or steamer clams, razor or jackknife clam, surf clam, blue mussel, whelks, conch, winkles or scungilli, scallop, and bay scallop.

Greenwich Shellfishing & Clamming

Greenwich Town Hall, 101 Field Point Road Greenwich, CT, 06830 Phone: 203-622-7700

Permits: All permits are valid from October 1 to September 30 each year. Permits are available at two locations: the Town Clerk’s office, Greenwich Town Hall, 101 Field Point Road, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; and The Sportsman’s Den of Greenwich, 33 River Road, Cos Cob.
Fees: Regular, $15; seniors age 65 and older, $10; junior age 5 through 13. $1.
Fairfield Shellfishing & Clamming

Old Town Hall / Sullivan Independence Hall, 611 Old Post Rd Fairfield, CT, 06824 Phone: 203-256-3000

The Fairfield Shellfish Program affects over 1,000 acres of municipal shellfish beds from Ash Creek to Sasco Creek including Long Island Sound. One inch of rain in a 24-hour period closes conditionally approved areas for 7 days.
Permits: Proof of Connecticut residency is required to obtain a recreational shellfishing permit. Permits can be obtained at the Conservation Department in Sullivan Independence Hall / Old Town Hall, 611 Old Post Road. Permit season is January 1 through December 31.
Fees: Fees are lower for residents of Fairfield with proof of residency. Fees are $15 for resident; $10 for senior residents; $25 for non-residents; $20 for non-resident taxpayers; $5 for residents for 14 days; $10 for non-residents for 14 days.
Westport Shellfishing & Clamming

The Westport Conservation Department opens areas for shellfishing periodically, based on rainfall. Phone 203-838-9807 for a recording that will inform you if the beds are open.
Recreational shellfish permit applications may be downloaded here. Permits are valid from January 1 to December 31.
Permit Fees: CT resident age 17 and older, $30; CT resident age 65 or older, $15; Out of state age 17 and older, $60; Out of state senior, $30; one-day permit, $15
Access to Shellfishing Beds: The best access to the recreational shellfish beds is via boat. There is a state boat launch on Elaine Road off Compo Road South. Parking is at Canal Road in Saugatuck Shores. - Shellfishing Map
Norwalk Shellfishing & Clamming

137 East Avenue Norwalk, CT, 06851 Phone: 203-854-7776

A recreational permit shall be required for the taking of all shellfish in Norwalk waters. Recreational: Please call the Recreational Shellfishing Hotline at (203) 838-9807 to check the status of areas immediately prior to shellfishing. Areas may close due to rainfall or sewage events. The hotline has the most up-to-date information available.
Permits: Shellfish permits can be purchased at Fisherman’s World 2 Fort Point Street, Norwalk ((203-866-1075)
Fees: Resident adult, $12; resident senior, $5; non-residents, $27. - Shellfishing Map
REI Coop Outfitters - Opt Outside
Darien Shellfishing & Clamming

Darien Town Hall and Health Department, Renshaw Road Darien, CT, 06820 Phone: 203-656-7320

People age 16 and older must have a permit to shellfish in Darien. Permits are issued by the Town of Darien Health Department. Children may harvest shellfish without a permit if accompanied by an adult with a permit.
Fees: Annual fees are Darien and Stamford residents, $20; senior residents age 65 and over, free; non-resident, $40
Information: Please call the Shellfish Hotline at 203- 838-9807 to check whether the area is open or closed.